To support passenger service, the F40PH is equipped with a secondary electrical generator referred to as the head end generator (or HEP, for Head End Power). The need for constant constant frequency power means that these HEP units are constantly running at 900rpm, resulting in the nickname "Screamers" for the units due to the sound.
- All locomotives are equipped with body mounted KATO magnetic knuckle couplers.
- Locomotives feature directional Golden White LED headlights and illuminated preprinted number boards.
- Locomotives are equipped with shock absorber construction for smooth and prototypical motion on the track.
- Locomotives have a powerful five pole motor with all wheel electrical pickup and blackened wheels.
- Additional alternate snow plow piece included for tight radius operation.
- New Commuter-version F40PH locomotives and Amtrak Phase III ditch light versions have retooled bodies with over-cab A/C units and illuminated ditch lights.
- Chicago Metra version F40PH locomotives have directional head and tail lights on the front of the locomotive for push-pull operation.
- Drop in DCC compatible with the Train Control Systems K0D8-C (Amtrak) and Train Control Systems K5D7 (Metra).