Mid Production EMD SD40-2 locomotives mirror a post-1990 locomotive, with deck mounted ditch lights so the modeler can use them with their modern freight rolling stock and in combination with other modern locos. Mid Production road names come with prototype accurate detailing with regards to horn and air conditioner placement as well, with Santa Fe (and ex-santa fe, respectively) units having their airhorns mounted towards the rear and additional antenna and air conditioning units over the cab.
- Equipped with body mounted KATO magnetic knuckle couplers.
- Locomotives feature directional Golden White LED headlights.
- Mid Production: Lighted ditch lights and illuminated preprinted numberboards.
- Mid Production: Shock absorber construction for reliable performance.
- Mid Production: DCC friendly and ready for drop in decoder installation of a Train Control Systems K1D4-NC.
- Early: DCC friendly and ready for drop in decoder installation of a Train Control Systems K1D4.
- Low flange wheels.