- Semi-modern appearance is appropriate for modern layouts behind UP Excursion trains as well as historical layouts operating freight and UP passenger services.
- New coreless motor design with dual brass flywheels for silky-smooth performance at all speeds, even slow crawls.
- Special cross-braced shock absorbers equalize the pressure on the locomotive drivers to maximize traction.
- Illuminated headlight and locomotive numberboards. The FEF tender does not have operational lights, but lighting kits are available for the special Water Tender cars (sold separately)
- DCC friendly design, allowing for easy drop-in installation of DCC.
- 11" (282mm) Minimum turning radius on ground level track, 15" (381mm) Minimum turning radius on Viaduct track.
- All detail parts installed
- Freight Version: All-black Drivers, Graphite smokebox, matte paint.
Model: The Kato N Scale FEF-3 follows in the footsteps of its Southern Pacific 4-8-4 cousin, refining the basic concept of a high-power, flexible steam locomotive which is easily upgradable to DCC by coupling a special, isolated coreless motor drive system with heavy duty flywheels and a flexible cross-braced suspension system that gives the locomotive a high torque, high traction grip that ensures constant and consistent pressure spread across the primary drivers. Another benefit of the coreless motor system is that the locomotive will have an extremely low starting voltage, giving the locomotive slow creeping speeds that will allow modelers to appreciate the complex arrangement of moving side rods that make steam operation so exciting. Other features, such as the locomotive's unique "Centipede" style tender being fitted with special articulation mechanisms that appear seamless when observed but will bend and flex to allow the locomotive to navigate tighter corners than should otherwise be possible!